Monday, September 14, 2009

A Muzzle for Kanye West?

... Ah, yes, a new award show and a new silly Kanye West outburst ...

While I was clicking through one of my favorite social networks this morning, I noticed that someone asked what people thought about Kanye's inappropriate VMA upstaging last night and his subsequent mea culpa on his blog later that night.

I wrote the following:

I must say that I wasn't all that shocked to see Kanye West make a sheer spectacle out of himself at an award show ... once again. He obviously feeds off of being the center of attention. Of course, it wouldn't be a vast stretch to see these recurring outbursts as just wily marketing ploys. However, I tend to think it's a mix of marketing and just a plain infantile personality.

It's pretty sad that he didn't take into account Taylor Swift's age or the fact that that was her first VMA award. Thank god that Beyonce showed class and professionalism by allowing Swift to have her moment in the end.

As for his apology, who knows if it is sincere. Personally, I was more struck by how it sounded like something written by a 15 year old. One would expect that if he was sincere that he would have sat down and truly contemplated the moment. He wouldn't have made pitiful excuses on his blog like "I'm just real sorry for that".

I suppose no one told him there is a time and place for everything.

To view what others said: Mahalo Answers
To view a snippet of his blog apology: Kanye Disses Taylor Swift
To view a history of Kanye's rants: Outburst Timeline

No comments:

Post a Comment